Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Westport

I stepped outside. The weather was breezy and cool, unusual for an August morning. The sun on the front porch and protection of the one wall stilled the air in that spot and made it feel warmer. I sat down on the front step and spotted one of the hens in the large shrub to my left. She proceeded to stroll toward me, clucking as she moved. She paced in front, then hopped up on the stairs, then one up behind me, circling around. Her curiosity growing, she joined me on the same step, then jumped onto my lap. She adjusted her bottom to get comfortable and then settled in for a rest. Of course I couldn't resist petting my new friend and she was content to take a break for awhile with me. For about 15 minutes the two of us sat there, she looking up and clucking from time to time, me petting her feathers. Then without warning, she jumped down and continued on her way, foraging through the grass.

1 comment:

Gay, Married, with Cat said...

If you know our friends being visited, you would know that when they raise chickens they tend to raise them as pets!