Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Aftermath

I woke several times in the middle of the night. No one came to greet me when I stirred or to rub my face with hers.

When the alarm went off at 5 am, no one jumped up and began purring at me and rubbing me to welcome the new day. No one joined me in the bathroom while I shaved and got myself ready to leave for the gym.

All was quiet. There is a large void from the absence of our 10 pound feline friend. It's clear that her personality and attitude filled the rooms at the apartment. Now it seems so empty.

I'd placed newspapers around in the event she had an accident when I was away or not watching. An added benefit was that she enjoyed reclining on newspapers. Most Sundays I'd read the paper on the floor or the bed and she'd join me by settling onto the page I was most interested in at the moment. I picked all of them up and put them on the recycling pile. I cleaned up the makeshift bed that I'd put together for her near her food and water dishes. I emptied the water but haven't yet been able to empty the food dish. It remains in its usual place. Her treats on the kitchen floor that she didn't get a chance to have on Saturday are still there as well.

No one greeted me this evening upon coming home from work. No one shared morsels from my plate. Right now, it's about time to turn in for the day. If she were here, she'd be reminding me that it's time to go now.

No comments: