Monday, January 7, 2008

Samantha, 1992-2008


Samantha left us this afternoon.

Saturday and Sunday night she was unable to sleep and was dragging herself around the apartment. Several times throughout the night, I woke to search for her. Found her lying in the middle of the floor and she greeted me with her questioning sound when I happened on her; found her wedged behind the computer table; found her under a chair. Each time I picked her up, I brought her to bed to rest beside me for a while. After twenty minutes or so she was off, dragging herself across the floor to another spot. She would linger in one place for five or ten minutes, then onto the next spot. Continually restless.

I passed on going to the gym this morning before work and stayed at home. I made a bed area for her on the floor with her food and water, a worn shirt of mine and Noel's, and placed a suitcase and other objects around so that she'd stay in the area and not hurt herself.

She hadn't been drinking, but with a straw she allowed me to give her a drink. She tried to eat one of her treats, but it was too difficult and she gave up.

After a tearful goodbye, I went to work. I called a friend, Kath, and left her a message that I thought Samantha was dying and I needed to talk. She called me back and my emotions got the best of me. She told me not to give up yet and that if Samantha was fighting, we should give her the best opportunity to do so. She found a vet, made an appointment for me and told me to go home and take her to the vet.

I got home and found her lying on the living room floor. She called for me when I walked into the room. She managed to get out of her padded area and crossed the living room. I picked up her weak body, laid her on a towel and took her to the car. She talked off and on the whole way. She laid on the car seat and whenever I was silent, she called for me until I told her I was there.

We found the vet's office and I carried her in--she gripping my wrist with her right paw and periodically trying to rub her nose and cheek on my hand. Patrons in the vets office were intrigued by her. "She's so good, you don't need a carrier to bring her here!"

"She's very sick," I said. "Otherwise she'd be stressed and have to be in her carrier."

The vet was very gentle, empathetic and concerned about her. Aging cats often have kidney problems, so we had blood tests run. Blood tests were normal. She suggested an x-ray to see if she had any tumors. X-rays didn't reveal anything. Perhaps she has an infection. She received an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic and some fluids to rehydrate her.

While waiting for her, another friend, Mark, called and said that Kath let him know what was happening. We chatted about Samantha and her symptoms and in a few moments Samantha was delivered from her treatments, so I excused myself to hurry her home.

She was more alert and relaxed afterwards, although still weak. On the way home I kept my one hand on her all the way and she talked all the way home. Once I brought her in and laid her down, she fell asleep.

After a good rest this afternoon, she left us.

Thank you, Samantha, for sharing your life with us. We'll miss you.

2 comments:

Gay, Married, with Cat said...

She took good care of us, and wanted us to herself (no visitors, no competition). Such a character!

Phila-gay, married with cat said...

So true. Kath said that Samantha saw her job as taking care of us and was not willing to share that job with anyone else.